Welcome!

Hi there! My name is Kelly. I'm a mother of 4 and a grandmother of 14 now! I've lived all over the country and even in Hawaii. Right now, I'm currently in Southeast Missouri. Throughout my adult life, I've wanted to find a forum of some sort that encourages other Christian women. I've found wonderful craft blogs, weight loss sites, motherhood sites, book clubs, etc. So I am going to try my hand at a blog that contains a little bit of everything. Grab a cup of coffee and let's chat!!

Contact me by email at coffeecupchristianity@gmail.com or at urlinia@yahoo.com

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wednesday Hodge Podge Vol 110

1. The popular saying, 'All is fair in love and war' is originally credited to English writer John Lyly.  Is he right?
I don't agree.  Love, as well as war, are both so volatile that fairness cannot be gauged correctly.  Both have been known to turn mild and meek mannered individuals into someone so totally contrary to their characters that it's almost negligent.  (Ok, how obtuse was that?)  However, just to set the record straight, I "love" being in "love" and everyone has the capability to fight and defend that which is theirs, be it, their bodies, families, friends, rights, freedoms, etc.  How it's done is what will determine what is fair or not.

2. Are you a cereal eater?  What's your favorite kind?
I'm not a super big breakfast eater, but I do eat cereal from time to time and one of my favorites is Cinnamon Life.

3. A five year old in Pennsylvania was recently given a ten day school suspension for talking with a friend about shooting one another with a Hello Kitty Bubble gun (the gun blows bubbles).  She did not have the gun with her at school.

A psychological evaluation was also ordered and the incident was recorded on her permanent record.  The suspension was later reduced to two days and her parents are suing to have the incident removed from her file. Your thoughts?  (If you missed the story click here for details). 
Would this story have ever made it to the light of day or public knowledge if our lawmakers weren't up in arms about gun control? I don't think so.  ...(deleted)... sorry, had to get off my soap box, almost got carried away there.  Regarding the story, I think it's absolute rubbish that this has happened and I do believe things will totally get worse.

4. Whatever happened to_____________________________?
Manners.  Saying "Please" and "Thank You" or "Excuse me" has all but disappeared.  Respecting elders and those in authority has dwindled into outer space.  I see children all the time, during meals, chewing their food like a cow chews it's cud; smacking, slurping and talking with their mouths full, and I wonder how their parents can tolerate it, until I look over and see the same behavior exhibited by them.  "No respect, I tell you!" (Rodney Dangerfield)

5.  January 23rd is National Handwriting Day, billed as a day to reacquaint yourself with a pen and pencil.  Do you like your handwriting? Do you prefer to print or write in cursive?  This date was chosen because its the birth date of John Hancock. What's the last thing you signed your name to?
I love handwriting.  I use different styles depending on what I'm doing.  Notes for school or legal documents, I'm usually printing in small block capital letters.  But when I'm writing in my journal or penning a letter to a friend, it's in cursive handwriting.  The last thing I signed my name to was a release for medical records from my doctor for an upcoming surgery.


6. Speaking of John Hancock...ever been to Philadelphia? Do you have any desire to visit the city of Brotherly Love?  
I've never been to Philadelphia and someday would like to visit.
7.  Share something funny you've heard a child say. 
Omgosh!  When my granddaughter, Madison (currently age 6), was 3 or 4, we were trying to teach her the difference between left and right in regards to putting her shoes on.  I had been working with her one weekend when she said she needed to use the bathroom.  We were outside in the backyard sitting on the patio with our ice tea and chatting with other family members.  A few minutes later, she came out the back door, of course with her shoes on the wrong feet.  I called to her, with a little bit of frustration in my voice, "Maddy! You put your shoes on the wrong feet!  Change your feet!"  She stopped for a minute then looked back up at me and yelled back, "But MeMe! 'Dese da only feet I got!"  Needless to say, when the laughter died down, she had put her shoes on the right feet.  But I can't think of a time when I laughed so hard. 

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Regarding my answer to question number 7:  Be careful of which words you use to instruct a child because it can come back to haunt you OR come back even a few years later and continue to make you laugh! 

7 comments:

Joyce said...

I love the shoe story! Kids are so literal which makes for humor sometimes. Have a nice day!

retired not tired said...

I love the kid stories today. Children can be so literal.

Hilary said...

oh my goodness ... we have the same "wallpaper" for our blogs!! LOL

It's great to meet you on the Grow Your Blog party. And I totally agree with you about manners.

Anonymous said...

#4: Manners. Amen. I thought hard about that, as well as chivalry as an answer, but figured I'd get on too big of a soapbox for the regular Hodgepodge answers, and I had already done that for #3. So I went with a more superficial answer! :)

Jill said...

Children take us so literally, don't they? That gave me a good laugh.

I also think respect and manners have gone out the window. We need them back!

Tiffany said...

Awww #7 is too cute. Love the little ones. :-)

Stopping by from GYBP.

Tiffany
www.pinkfaithtoday.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Liked the story about the shoes on wrong. I once told my kiddo his shoes were on backwards and he told me they were forward. Silly Kids!

~Sharon